By now we all know the harm that disposable plastic products cause to the ecosystem. Data suggests that we produce more than 385 million tons of plastic waste every year. There is an urgent need to find alternatives to plastic in our everyday products. Plastic straws are a contributing factor to the production of plastic waste. There are several alternatives to plastic straws on the market, in this article we are going to take a look at each of them and see which one can serve as the best replacement for plastic straws. Let’s begin.
1. Sugar Cane Straws – This is a great option if you are looking for alternatives to plastic straws. These straws are made from sugarcane pulp which means that they can be easily composted and are organic.
2. PLA Straws – Polylactic acid straws are basically biodegradable plastic straws. They are most commonly made from corn oil and plant starches. They perform as well as plastic straws but their claims of being biodegradable are questionable. The fine print is that they can only be decomposed in a commercial composting center. So, you if you put them in a trashcan after use, they will cause the same harm to the environment as normal plastic straws.
3. Rice Straws – Rice Straws are another great alternative to plastic straws. They offer some great advantages as they are biodegradable and completely organic. That being said, they are notoriously hard to carry as they can easily break, and they are also quite expensive when compared to other options.
4. Paper Straws – You might think that paper straws are great for the environment since they are biodegradable, but this is a misconception. Paper is made from trees which means that to manufacture paper straws you would have to kill trees which will have a negative impact on the environment.
As we can see that there are some great options out there when it comes to alternatives for plastic straws but each of them has some drawbacks. So, what is the best alternative to plastic straws? Well, the answer would be bamboo straws. Let’s take a look at some of the reasons why bamboo straws are the best alternative to plastic straws:
Bamboo is a highly sustainable plant. Bamboo can grow to full size in just 3-4 months, compared to standard trees which can take 30+ years to grow. This makes it a very sustainable alternative due to its naturally renewing properties.
· They are completely biodegradable – As you can guess that bamboo straws are made out of bamboo fiber which comes from the bamboo plant. This means that they are completely biodegradable and cause no harm to our ecosystem.
· They are durable – As much as we want alternatives to plastic straws, we also want good alternatives to plastic straws. We want the straws to be of good quality and durable. Bamboo is a very durable material that can be used with both hot and cold drinks without any concern. Since they are all-natural, you don’t have to worry about any sort of chemicals as well.
This is how we determined which type of straws to include in our DIY kits! All our kits will now include disposable bamboo straws that are 100% compostable and biodegradable.
We hope that this article helps you choose alternative straws over plastic straws!